The purpose of this page is to make sure that everyone concerned is working together for the benefit of the pupil. But I do not wish us to be bogged down by rules and regulations and so I take a less formal approach. If you would prefer a formal agreement, I will be happy to prepare one - please ask. In either case, it is important that we all understand what is expected of each one of us and what we may reasonably expect of the others who are involved.
This page is written in the context of younger pupils whose parents will be party to the agreement. For older pupils, the role of the parent will become less important or may even be subsumed into the pupil's own role. By "school" I mean an educational establishment.
What I expect from the pupil
- Commitment (if you don't want to do it, I cannot make you do it).
- Regular attendance. You will have other conflicting demands on your time. If you cannot attend a lesson, please let me know. If inability to attend becomes too frequent then we may need to review the tutoring arrangement.
- If you don't understand something during the tuition, or if there was something from an earlier lesson that you thought you had understood at the time but are not so sure about now, ASK! And if my answer does not make it clear, ASK again. Never be afraid or embarrassed about stopping me to ask.
- If you want me to go over what you are currently doing in school (rather than what we had planned for the lesson) then let me know - ideally before the lesson so that I am prepared.
- If you are unhappy about any aspect of the tuition, tell me. We can try and find a way that works for both of us.
What I expect from the parents
- Make sure of attendance and inform me of likely absences (including holidays). I reserve the right to charge up to half the fee for missed lessons. However, I will usually not charge for an occasional lesson that is missed, particularly if I have been notified at least 24 hours previously.
- If you are unhappy about any aspect of the tuition, tell me. We can try and find a way that works for all of us.
- Prompt payment. You may pay me in cash, by cheque (made payable to Anand Mehta), or ask me for details to pay by electronic transfer. Most of my pupils pay me per session but I am happy with payment for blocks of sessions. However, block payment needs to be in advance and, regrettably, I cannot offer block discount.
What you can expect from me
- Lessons that are fun.
- Lessons that are designed to meet the pupil's needs as an individual.
- Lessons that are flexible - to accommodate new needs as they arise.
- Suggestions for homework, or further exercises.
- I will inform you, as soon as I can, about any dates that I cannot manage. I will try to offer alternatives to make up missed lessons.